Guest Editorial - The Drone Zone
- Risks to aviation fromthe growing number of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS or "Drones").
- Goals of Transport Canada's Task Force, responsible for implementing new regulations, standards, and programs regarding Drones.
- Update on the Task Force's current findings.
- How to apply for a RPAS Special Flight Operations Certificates (SFOCs).
- How to report a drone incident to Transport Canada.
- If you see a drone operating in a manner that presents an immediate danger, contact your local law enforcement.
Sharing the Skies - Harder than it Sounds
- Background on "wildlife-strike prevention."
- Bird Strikes have caused 4 fatal crashes, resulting in 8 casualties.
- Each year ~45 strikes have damaged aircraft using Canadian Airports.
- A further 180 "adverse effect events" (AEE) due to wildlife strikes or presence at airports (e.g., aborted takeoffs, rejected landings, etc.) all result in high-risk operations.
- The need for proper wildlife management program and trained personnel at vulnerable airports.
- The requirements for ATC to advise pilots of the hazard, its severity, and its location (in three dimensions) on the airport.
- The inadequacies of "Passive Wildlife Management."
- A robust wildlife management program requires a variety of audio/visual tools.
- The need for Accurate Strike Recording (and how to keep them).
A Letter to the Loved Ones of my Friend, a Private Helicopter Pilot
- A Letter from a Flying Instructor detailing the need to insure pilots keep their knowledge & skills current.
- Excellent Hints & Reminders of critical factors to consider in insuring a safe flight.
Radium Luminous Devices
- The dangers of Radium-Painted Aircraft Instruments.
- Best ways to handle them.
- Safe ways to dispose of them.
David Charles Abramson Memorial (DCAM) Award
- Info on the annual award promoting flight safety by recognizing exceptional flight instructors in Canada.
Prospective Memory in the Cockpit
- First in a series of in-depth reports from the Advanced Cognitive Engineering Laboratory.
- "Prospective memory" supports your ability to carry out any behaviour that you, at one time in the past, planned to carry out in the future.
- The four key elements of prospective memory:
- Forming an intention,
- Monitoring for cues that signal when the task is to be carried out.
- Retrieving the details of the desired action.
- Carrying out the intention.
- Examples of "PM" failures in high-workload conditions.
- Helpful ways of learning skills to help avoid PM failures.
TSB Final Report Summaries
TSB Final Report A17Q0162 - In-flight Collision with Drone
- Details of a mid-air collision between a Beech King Air and a Drone.
- The drone was destroyed. Luckily, the aircraft received only minimal damage to its left wing.
- Overview of Canadian Airspace Classes.
- Summary of incidents involving Drones from 2014 through 2017.
- Reminder that unapproved Drone operations can result in a fine of up to $25 000, and in some cases, Drone Operators may be found guilty of an indictable offence or an offence punishable on summary conviction.
- The use of drones near an aerodrome or within controlled airspace poses a serious risk to aviation safety.
- All recreational and non-recreational drone operators must know & comply with the regulations, including the requirement to operate within line of sight.
- It is important for the public to notify TC when observing the use of a drone near an aerodrome so that TC can take appropriate action.
TSB Final Report A16A0032 - Collision with Terrain
- A Mitsubishi MU2-B pilot "got behind" the airplane in instrument conditions and struck the ground, resulting in the deaths of all on board.
- Some valuable lessons to be learned from the detailed TSB examination.
TSB Final Report A16A0084 - Collision with Wires
- A privately operated Bell 206B helicopter collided with and power transmission lines and fell into the river below. There were two fatalities & one survivor.
- Dangers of fatigue & Cannabis ingestion on a pilot's abilities.
- Dangers of low flying.
- Explanation of the difficulty of seeing & avoiding power lines at low altitudes.
TSB Final Report A16Q0020 - Temporary difficulty with aircraft control
- While the incident involves a Bombardier Dash 8, this report containd valuable information on the combination of turbulence and shear contributing to temporary difficulties with aircraft control effectiveness.
General Aviation Safety Video Gallery
- A series of Aviation Safety Videos including:
- An Introduction to General Aviation Safety.
- Through the Overcast - Floats.
- Aircraft Egress.
- Safe take-offs & Landings.